Nutrition Assistance (formerly the Food Stamp Program) is Arizona’s program for the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Nutrition Assistance supports families to prevent under-nutrition in Arizona.
You can use the screen for eligibility website to see if you qualify for Nutrition Assistance; however, the best way to know if you are eligible is to submit an application for benefits and go through the application process. The application process includes verifying that we have received complete and accurate information along with an interview conducted by our staff.
If you do not qualify for Nutrition Assistance benefits, or need help with food during the application process, please contact The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP). Persons receiving Nutrition Assistance automatically qualify for TEFAP.
Information needed to apply
Whether you are applying for the first time, or renewing your benefits, you may need one or more of the following pieces of information to complete your application:
- Proof of citizenship and identity for everyone who is applying for benefits.
- Alien Registration Cards, if there are non-U.S. citizens applying for benefits in your household.
- Social Security numbers for everyone, or proof that a Social Security number has been applied for.
- Proof of relationship, birth certificates may be used
- Name, address & daytime phone number of landlord or neighbor.
- A statement verifying your address and the names of everyone living with you. The statement must be made by a non-relative who doesn’t live with you. It must be signed, dated and include that person's address and telephone number.
- Proof of ALL money your household received from any source last month and this month.
- Proof that your employment ended and last date paid.
- Bank or credit union (savings or checking) complete statement for the most recent month.
- Proof of savings bonds, securities, retirement plans and life insurance.
- Proof of rent/mortgage and utility bills (electric, water, gas, etc.) for the most recent month.
- Proof of child care expenses for the most recent month.
- Proof of all medical expenses for those applying for benefits who are age 60 or older or receive disability benefits.
Submitting your application
Submitting your application and required documentation starts the application process. The following are ways that you can apply:
- Submit an online application through Health-e-Arizona Plus.
- Download the Application for Benefits with KidsCare Application Addendum turn it in by mail, fax, or in person at your local office.
- Request an application at your local office or Call (855) 432-7587 to request a paper application be mailed to you. After receiving and completing the application, turn it in by mail, fax, or in person at your local office.
- Go to find an assistor, enter your ZIP Code to locate community assistors near you for help with the application process.
After the Application
You will need to complete an eligibility interview via phone or in person at one of our offices. We strongly recommend that you have income information, ID, Social Security numbers, and Citizenship verification at the interview. During your interview, we will review your information in order to see if you qualify for the program.
At the end of your interview, we will let you know if we need any additional information to decide your case. We will also send you a letter asking for this information.
How do I provide additional information, when requested?
To serve you better and assure that you receive the benefits you qualify for, please:
- Give us all requested information as soon as possible
- Let us know if you need assistance in getting the necessary information. We can assist you
You can mail, fax or submit copies of the requested information to our office. Please do not turn in original documents.
When you apply online, you can either upload requested information or fax it. Please include a cover sheet with your faxed documents. (For additional instructions, see the Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) in Health-e-Arizona Plus titled 'How do I fax documents to HEAplus').
When will I know if I am approved?
A decision will be made by one of the following dates:
- Within seven days from the application date if you qualify for emergency benefits
- At the latest, 30 days from the application date
When a decision is made regarding your case, you will be mailed a letter with the results. You can also monitor the status of your application online at Health-e-Arizona Plus or MyFamilyBenefits.
What can I do if I disagree with the decision?
You can request an appeal when:
- An application is denied,
- Benefits are stopped, or
- An application is not processed in a timely manner.
After I am approved
You are required to report any changes that may affect your Nutrition Assistance eligibility. Your approval letter will identify whether you qualify for Standard or Simplified reporting.
Nutrition Assistance requires a renewal to determine if there have been any changes to your current status. Renewal dates can range from three months to two years from the initial application date. You will be mailed a letter informing you that it is time to renew your benefits. It is important to report a change in your mailing address to ensure you receive notification regarding your renewal.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Employment & Training
If approved for Nutrition Assistance benefits you may be required to participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Employment & Training Program (SNA E&T). If you are required to participate in the SNA E&T program, you will be sent a letter with additional information.
Able-bodied adults without dependents are only eligible for a few months of Nutrition Assistance unless they are exempt, working, or participating in the SNA E&T program.