DES uses all resources available to verify the required information. You can help your application be processed faster by providing the following verifications with your application:
- Proof of identity such as a driver’s license, passport, birth certificate, or state-issued identification.
- The following verification when it applies to your household:
- Proof of earned income received this month and last month for all applicants who are working.
- Proof of self-employment income. Provide all the income from the past 12 months unless your business has been operating for less than 12 months. When you have self-employment expenses, provide at least one receipt.
- Proof of unearned income received this month and last month such as social security, unemployment insurance, worker’s compensation, gifts, loans, child support, or Veterans Administration benefits.
- For applicants who are not U.S. Citizens: Proof of Lawful Permanent Residency such as your alien registration card.
Providing proof of expenses is not mandatory, but it may help you receive more benefits.
- Proof of rent or mortgage expense.
- Proof of utility expenses such as electricity, garbage, gas, telephone, coal, or water.
- Proof of childcare cost when you have someone else care for your child while you go to work. Provide a statement when you take your child to or from the provider’s location.
- Proof of legal obligation and payment of court-ordered child support.
- Proof of all medical expenses for those applying for benefits who are age 60 or older or receive disability benefits when the total amount for the household is more than $35.00.
- Proof of legal obligation and payments of court-ordered child support paid this month and last month.
Whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your benefits, you may need one or more of the following pieces of information to determine whether you are eligible for Cash Assistance.
- Proof of Relationship, birth certificates may be used.
- A statement verifying your address and the names of everyone living with you. The statement must be made by a non-relative who does not live with you. It must be signed, dated, and include that person's address and telephone number.
- Bank or credit union (savings or checking) complete statement for the most recent month.
When an application for Nutrition Assistance and Cash Assistance is received DES sends a notice to the household to complete the mandatory interview. When more information is needed to process an application, a notice is sent asking for the information needed.