How can an employer apply for a Shared Work Plan?
A Shared Work Plan Application is available online. Your completed application and list of participants should be submitted at least10 days prior to the date you wish your plan to begin. You will be notified by mail of the approval or disapproval of your plan.
An employer may have two or more plans in effect at the same time (to cover separate groups of employees). Each plan must include at least two employees, and all must be identified by name and Social Security Number. Each plan must specify the beginning date for the plan.
On the application, the employer must certify that:
- Each employee listed on the plan has been paid at least $1,500 in wages from the business during the six months prior to the effective date of the plan.
- For the duration of the Shared Work plan, the reduction in hours replaces a layoff, which would have resulted in a reduction of at least the same number of hours of work.
- He or she has read and understands the Shared Work information and application instructions and is aware of the potential effects on his or her UI account if benefits are paid to his or her employees.
- The plan application must specify any changes the affected employees will experience in fringe benefits.
- Written approval of the plan must be obtained from any collective bargaining representative representing any employee listed on the plan.