Requesting Records From DES
Information Regarding Public Record Requests
Requestors only have a right to a record:
- That is already maintained, and
- In the format in which it is kept.
Arizona’s Public Records Law does not require the State to:
- Obtain a new Record, Or
- Create new report formats, Or
- Convert a record to a different medium or format.
All information is considered public record, with three broad exceptions:
- Confidentiality – Disclosure is not required where prohibited by statute, court rule or court order (e.g., social security numbers, court orders, etc.).
- Personal privacy – Some records need not be disclosed due to an individual’s privacy rights (e.g., home address, telephone numbers, email addresses, racial background, age).
- “Best interest” – Disclosure may not be required if release of the record is not in the best interest of the state (e.g., release would inhibit public safety efforts or place the State at a competitive disadvantage).
Requests for Public Records
To request public records, you may write, fax or email the DES Public RecordsCoordinator at:
• Mail: Kathryn Greene
DES Public Records Coordinator
P.O. Box 6123
Site Code 837A
Phoenix, AZ 85005
• Fax: (602) 542-6000
• Email: PublicRecordsRequest@azdes.gov
Under A.R.S §41-1959, the records of individuals who participated in DES programs or receive DES services are confidential. Please note, however, that there are other federal or state laws which may modify this general provision. To offset the reasonable costs incurred, the Department may charge the following fees for any records produced pursuant to public records requests for non-commercial purposes:
Hard Copies (paper)
$1.00 for the first page
$0.25 for each additional page
$10.00 per CD/DVD (if the documents already exist in an electronic format)
$10.00 per CD/DVD plus the actual cost of converting the document to an electronic format (if the documents do not already exist in an electronic format)
Actual cost of postage through a vendor and method determined by requestor $2.00 per page to transmit documents via fax
However, pursuant to A.R.S. Section 12-351(F)(1), for materials produced under a subpoena, the Department may charge:
$0.10 per page and,
$10 per hour for cost of production
This fee structure applies to all public records requests and subpoenas until such time as the Department revises the fee structure.