Information Regarding Public Record Requests
All information is considered public record, with three broad exceptions:
- Confidentiality – Disclosure is not required where prohibited by statute, court rule or court order (e.g., social security numbers, court orders, etc.).
- Personal privacy – Some records need not be disclosed due to an individual’s privacy rights (e.g., home address, telephone numbers, email addresses, racial background, age).
- “Best interest” – Disclosure may not be required if release of the record is not in the best interest of the state (e.g., release would inhibit public safety efforts or place the State at a competitive disadvantage).
Requestors only have a right to a record:
- That is already maintained, and
- In the format in which it is kept.
Arizona’s Public Records Law does not require the State to:
- Obtain a new Record, or
- Create new report formats, or
- Convert a record to a different medium or format.
Possible Fees for Records Produced by DES
Under A.R.S §41-1959, the records of individuals who participated in DES programs or are receiving DES services are confidential. However, there are other federal or state laws which may modify this general provision. To offset the reasonable costs incurred, the Department may charge the following fees for any records produced pursuant to public records requests for non-commercial purposes:
Hard Copies (paper)
- $1.00 for the first page
- $0.25 for each additional page
- $10.00 per CD/DVD (if the documents already exist in an electronic format)
- $10.00 per CD/DVD, plus the actual cost of converting the document to an electronic format
(if the documents do not already exist in an electronic format)
- Actual cost of postage through a vendor and method is determined by requestor
- $2.00 per page to transmit documents via fax.
Materials produced under a subpoena
- $0.10 per page and,
- $10 per hour for cost of production
This fee structure applies to all public records requests and subpoenas until such time as the Department revises the fee structure.
Requesting Public Records
To request public records, you may write, fax or email the DES Public Records Coordinator at:
Attn: DES Public Records Coordinator
P.O. Box 6123
Site Code 837A
Phoenix, AZ 85005
Fax: (602) 542-6000
Email: [email protected]