Cash Assistance helps families meet their basic needs for well-being and safety and serves as their path to self-sufficiency. The Cash Assistance program provides temporary cash benefits and supportive services to the neediest of Arizona's children and their families.
Cash Assistance may be provided to needy families with dependent children. Eligibility for the Cash Assistance program is based on citizenship; qualified noncitizen resident status; Arizona residency; limits on resources and monthly income eligibility guidelines.
Adults receiving Cash Assistance benefits are required to complete and sign a Personal Responsibility Agreement. This agreement specifies compliance with the Jobs Program and the DES Child Support Services, as well as immunizing children and making sure they attend school, if applicable.
You can use the screen for eligibility website to see if you qualify for Cash Assistance, however, the best way to know if you are eligible is to submit a completed application for benefits and go through the application process.
Information needed to apply
Whether you are applying for the first time, or renewing your benefits, you may need one or more of the following pieces of information to complete your application:
- Proof of citizenship and identity for everyone who is applying for benefits.
- Alien Registration Cards, if there are non-U.S. citizens applying for benefits in your household.
- Social Security numbers for everyone, or proof that a Social Security number has been applied for.
- Proof of relationship, birth certificates may be used.
- Name, address & daytime phone number of landlord or neighbor.
- A statement verifying your address and the names of everyone living with you. The statement must be made by a non-relative who doesn’t live with you. It must be signed, dated and include that person's address and telephone number.
- Proof of ALL money your household received from any source last month and this month.
- Proof that your employment ended and last date paid.
- Bank or credit union (savings or checking) complete statement for the most recent month.
- Proof of savings bonds, securities, retirement plans and life insurance.
- Proof of rent/mortgage and utility bills (electric, water, gas, etc.) for the most recent month.
- Proof of child care expenses for the most recent month.
Submitting your application
Submitting your completed application and required documentation starts the application process. Once your application is received, it will be reviewed to determine if you qualify for benefits. The following are ways that you can apply:
- Complete and submit an online application through Health-e-Arizona Plus.
- Download the Application for Benefits with KidsCare Application Addendum (PDF Form) and turn it in by mail, fax, or in person at your local office.
- Request an application at your local office or Call (855) 432-7587 to request a paper application be mailed to you. After receiving and completing the application, turn it in by mail, fax, or in person at your local office.
After the Application
You will need to complete an eligibility interview via phone or in person at one of our offices. We strongly recommend that you have income information, ID, Social Security numbers, and Citizenship verification at the interview. During your interview, we will review your information in order to see if you qualify for the program.
At the end of your interview, we will let you know if we need any additional information to decide your case. We will also send you a letter asking for this information.
You may be eligible for one large lump-sum payment through the Grant Diversion Program. Ask your eligibility interviewer about this program during your interview.
How do I provide additional information, when requested?
To serve you better and to make sure you get all the benefits you qualify for, please:
- Give us all requested information as soon as possible
- Let us know if you need help getting information. We can assist you
You can mail, fax or submit copies of the requested information to our office. Please do not turn in original documents.
When you apply online, you can upload requested information or fax it with a cover sheet. (For additional instructions, see the Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) in Health-e-Arizona Plus titled 'How do I fax documents to HEAplus').
When will I know if I am approved?
A decision will be made, at the latest, 45 days from the application date.
When a decision is made regarding your case, you will be mailed a letter with the results. You can also monitor the status of your application online at Health-e-Arizona Plus or MyFamilyBenefits.
What can I do if I disagree with the decision?
You can request an appeal when:
- An application is denied,
- Benefits are stopped, or
- An application is not processed in a timely manner.
After I am approved
You are required to report any changes that may affect your Cash Assistance eligibility. Your approval letter will identify whether you qualify for Standard or Simplified reporting.
Cash Assistance requires a renewal to determine if anything changed. A letter will be sent to you when it is time for a renewal. It is important to report a change in your mailing address to ensure you receive notification regarding your renewal.