Welcome to the Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES). DES works with families, community organizations, advocates and state and federal partners to realize our collective vision that every child, adult, and family in the state of Arizona will be safe and economically secure.
DES works to promote enhanced safety and well-being for Arizonans by focusing on three primary goals:
- Strengthening individuals and families;
- Increasing self-sufficiency; and,
- Developing the capacity of communities.
Whether you are an individual who needs help, a potential employee passionate about helping others, or a part of the extensive network of human service professionals throughout Arizona dedicated to improving outcomes for children and families, we look forward to working with you to create a better tomorrow by providing support today.
In 1972, The Department of Economic Security (DES) was established by consolidating multiple state agencies to provide an integrated approach to human services.
In 2014, the Arizona Legislature created the Department of Child Safety, which officially moved Child Protective Services out of DES and made it a stand-alone agency.
Today, DES invests approximately $4 billion annually to assist more than 2.9 million Arizonans. Our staff of more than 7,700 team members strive daily to provide timely, accurate and beneficial services to assist those in need.
The Arizona Department of Economic Security makes Arizona stronger by helping Arizonans reach their potential through temporary assistance for those in need, and care for the vulnerable.
All Arizonans who qualify receive timely DES services and achieve their potential.
- Accountability – We commit to excellence, innovation and transparency.
- Integrity – We are trustworthy, honest and reliable.
- Respect – We appreciate each other, and value those we serve.
- Teamwork – We collaborate with humility, and partner with kindness.
- Diversity – We respect all Arizonans, and honor those in need.
- Serve Arizonans with integrity, humility and kindness
- Support Arizonans to reach their potential through social services that train, rehabilitate, and connect them with job creators
- Provide temporary assistance to Arizonans in need while they work toward greater self-sufficiency
- Provide children with food, health care, and parental financial support; provide services to individuals with disabilities; and protect the vulnerable by investigating allegations of abuse, neglect, and exploitation
Our work must continually demonstrate these values every day, through our interactions with the public and our fellow colleagues as we focus on building the capacity of the people we serve.
Each Division and every employee of DES must relate these values to their specific work so that they can become a meaningful part of their daily interactions. In this way, we all share ownership of these values and are able to relate them to our vision and our daily work, regardless of our position or job site within DES.