The Rehabilitation Adjustment and Employment Services (RAES) Unit is a statewide support, consultation and training service to the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA), serving clients who are blind or visually impaired. Services are provided by RSA SBVID (Service for Blind/Visually Impaired & Deaf) staff and community providers.
The following services are provided:
- Rehabilitation Teaching
- Orientation & Mobility
- Orientation & Adjustment to Blindness
The Rehabilitation Teacher instructs in the following areas:
- Home Management - Food preparation, sewing, home maintenance, etc.
- Personal Management - Financial planning, medication management, diabetic adaptive techniques, etc.
- Communications - Braille, keyboarding techniques, handwriting guides, talking books, etc.
- Adaptive equipment (watches, clocks, etc.).
- Low Vision - Use of magnifiers and other low vision devices.
Orientation & Mobility
- The Orientation & Mobility Specialist instructs in sighted guide, long cane travel, bus travel, support cane skills and low vision aids.
Orientation & Adjustment to Blindness
- Provides an introduction to blindness
- Provides available resources for blindness in Arizona
- Provides assistance in adjustment to blindness
The individual must have a visual impairment which is serious enough to inhibit independence in one or more major life areas. Medical information (visual and health) may be needed to document disability.