Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) account programs are investment programs that offer persons with disabilities, their family and friends, the option to contribute to a tax-exempt savings account for disability-related expenses. As of March 5, 2018, AZ ABLE accounts are open for enrollment.
Learn more about the AZ ABLE account program, such as eligibility, investment options, and other information at the AZ ABLE website.
For questions or inquiries regarding AZ ABLE presentations, please email [email protected].
Benefits of Opening an AZ ABLE Account
- Money saved does not affect SNAP
- Money saved does not affect Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) Medicaid
- Money saved only suspends SSI if account balance reaches over $100,000
- Provides financial freedom for people with disabilities
- Account is owned by the individual with the disability
- Dramatically increases ability to save
- Before ABLE, individuals with disabilities could only save around $2,000 of their own money before risking loss of health care and other benefits
- Provides a new investment opportunity
- Includes tax free earnings
How Can You Spend Saved Money?
Money must only be spent on Qualified Disability Expenses which means anything that: (1) relates to your disability and (2) helps to maintain or improve your health, independence, or quality of life.
Some examples of Qualified Disability Expenses are:
- Housing and Rent
- Basic Living Expenses
- Medical/Financial/Legal Bills
- Assistive Technology
Enroll in the AZ ABLE Program